Friday, June 7, 2013

1st Workshop of the SUMMER!

So I had my first workshop of the summer today.. not sure if this was a great day to have it (Friday), however; it was worth my while!! I got some fun Ideas out of it and that makes it all worth it!!

One thing I took away from today was the activity that she used with Multiplication. She used dot cards in order to build the conceptual knowledge about the groups within a multiplication problem. I LOVE that she didn't say to memorize them, bc I don't think that is the only "way to go." (Although it works, I consider that a last resort)

So what she did was use the dot stickers on cards, however they seem sooo expensive, and for us "Average" income folks, I thought it would be better to type this, and then we can print this out when needed on card stock or tag board so it lasts longer and looks more fun!
Example of 4 x 5 using the dot cards with stickers.
(4 groups of 5 equals 20)
Check it out! Let me know what you think about dot cards. I want your feedback. I love the idea that students should be able to SEE the reason why multiplication works, however; I want to know what you think. Any special tips on teaching multiplication SHARE That too!!

Click the picture below to grab this paper copy off my TPT page for FREE!


The goal is to be able to show equations up to 12 x 12. So you will need to print 12 copies of whichever design you choose in order to manipulate the cards.

It was a great Friday! YAY!!! 

2 comments:

  1. I think the dots are a great way for kids to relate multiplication to repeated addition--this helping them to understand the concept of multiplication. When I say this, I though about how the kids could help make them using Bingo daubers--if they still sell those these days... :0) I just found your blog today and am a new follower! All the best for a great summer!

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah!! I totally agree with you, about the repeated addition.. and I love the idea of the Bingo Daubers!! I didn't even think of that, and I have so many colors. :) I will be checking out your blog soon!

      Thank you again for dropping by, you're awesome!

      Delete