Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Unselfie -Introduction




So... “Unselfie” is a book that was initially  a “hearts desire” to read. Now that I have begun reading, I absolutely love it and desire more people to be reading it.(especially those within my current campus in order to make waves at my school.) 

Within the first few pages, the knowledge that is shared is so heavy and real and game changing. For example the information in the introduction regarding the “Me” cultural values rather than the “we”. (P. Xiv) As someone who is using social media to connect currently, I see this to be true! Social media, selfies, and the need for constant photo taking(even multiples of the same photo) has changed what we view as valuable. Even I have been guilty of retaking a selfie or a group picture multiple times until I look pleasing to myself. The constant obsessing is not healthy to our self esteem nor is it a message we want to deliver to those watching. Squirrel: Just FYI- I’m a musical learning style of a person, therefore I couldn’t help but think of this one country song by Toby Keith called Talk about Me when I read the word “me” repeatedly. I’m not sure of the song’s original meaning but I always hear the messaging of don’t be “self centered” when I listen to it. This brings me back to the self absorption, and how this is an increasingly popular problem that has been fueled by social media. 

 Click to listen



This book and its approach to empathy could change the way we do morning meetings, the way we interact with our students and teachers, and the way our counselors interact with our students and teachers. 
This book to me is a step beyond kindness. For the longest time educators and parents have said “be kind” and “show kindness” but this story encompasses kindness because that is HUGE and kids need to be kind but it takes it a step further and goes beyond just being kind and what does it look like. 

Empathy involves being kind, so kind would be a great co-pilot to empathy. As a teacher of littles, I believe you have to be kind in order to relate to someone, and when you relate to someone you are kinder. It’s a forward and backward swinging door. So this is a HUGE gain from kindness! 

On page 7, I love how ten year old Kanye put it, “empathy helps you be nice.” That’s the connection!! When you understand someone else’s perspective and situation, you can be nice (kind) to them.
Empathy gives kindness an explicit meaning and role within relationships.

How I would use this book?

As a teacher who does morning meetings with my students, I would initially use this as my morning meeting classroom curriculum and I would do the first 4 crucial fundamentals of empathy, while teaching them for 2 weeks at a time, rather than a month, only so I can make growth in my students before they leave for summer.. I would then continue to practice these skills as stated in the next part (part2) and allow them to practice (part3) while spiraling these practices all year. I would hope to show the students that through spiraling, it’s a continuous working goal and it will take time to develop.

Power quotes:
  • “People have to teach kids to care. “ p.xviii
  • “We create an environment where the walls come down, so to speak: where campers are willing to try something new surrounded by people willing to support them.” Leslie Lewin (imagine if all our classrooms were like this??! Like really like this!! Imagine accomplishing this goal each year and then the students can continue this throughout their schooling and carry that classroom culture.) p. Xii
  • We are all humans who share the same fears and concerns and deserve to be treated with dignity. (P.xiii) - I need this on a shirt. <3


Questions:
  1. What are some ways that you promote empathy in your classroom/school?
  2. How can we help bring back the “moral rudder” to our students? (Xvi)
  3. What are some project based character building activities that you do in your school? (Xviii) There has to be a way to bring this amazing activities into our schools.

Wow!! Chapter 1 is up next! I have never read such a passionate and moving introduction ever! I’ve been sharing this book with my neighbor and I can’t help by get chills when I think of how this book, in the right hands and at the right time, can move mountains for some of our toughest students. 


Kelli

No comments:

Post a Comment