Friday, June 15, 2018

Unselfie- Chapter 1

Did anyone else want to bring their baby to work??


When I read the page about bringing babies and how babies are natural empathizes, not only did I love the connect, but my momma heart started to try and find a way to bring baby Victoria to work! LOL! ( SN: I told my husband that she would be a classroom mascot and be a double tax write off, write off  for being our child but also apart of my school needs.)

So back to all the seriousness... when page 9 mentioned how we have different expectations of girls and boys, I couldn’t help but say that I am “Guilty!!”
Growing up, girls have never been allowed to be soft in my parents’ house, but the boys were never allowed dwell in their emotions. My parents loved the release of emotions and the ability to display feelings but they never wanted their boys to be too emotional, as society doesn’t view that well. They never wanted to stunt our brother but they didn’t want him to be unaccepted later either, which I get. Even as I look at my baby girl right this moment, I just hope and pray that she is always true to herself but I would like her to be accepted by her classmates.

So John Gottman is a huge driving force behind the emotion coach and he’s so convincing that i need to add his book, The Heart of Parenting, to my next set of books to read. After realizing that I probably can’t bring my baby to work for empathy coaching, I do like the idea of Skyping Grandma, however instead of Grandma, maybe it could be my retired Dad? This could be big. The students need a visual model to provide he face to face connection with and while they don’t all get that at home, we provide it at school, but it is still on a small scale. (At least compared to all the interaction that they should get, and my thinking is maybe we could coach them along, so they can handle and recognize these feelings better on their own and in other situations. (I might be dreaming with this idea, but I should dream big right?)

Page 20 opened some great insight into how I can share feelings everyday in class with my students. My colors won’t change often as I am very happy, but when it does change I will be sure to allow it to be a great conversation with my kiddos.


Out of all chapter 1, I would say nonverbal communication is key. What are some ways you help to coach students to read others’ actions?

What are some thoughts that you have regarding getting a classroom pet? (This would allow students to care for something else and observe its emotions. P.16)

Do you do any community outreach projects through your classroom/school?

1 comment:

  1. Double tax write off. Hmm, you might have something there.

    ReplyDelete