Thursday, February 28, 2013

Thrilling Thursday!!!


This morning began, with an inner fight on when I should get out of bed, however; I lost the battle and I got up. As always, once I was awake and at school, I was so glad that I came. :)


Despite the CrAzInEsS of Spring Fever in both kids and teachers...today was a very busy day with a lot of new and exciting things going on. Spring picture day was today, so I loved seeing everyone all dressed up.. because you know it only happens twice a year.  (They brush their hair and their teeth! :) haha!)

I took a picture with my co-worker and teaching partner Mr. Juan Gonzalez!! What an AMAZING guy! Working with him and his spunk and ideas makes for a great work environment.

Journaling in their Science Notebooks
Scientific Breakthrough

Mr. G and I team taught an engaging science lesson on Types of Soil in our school's outdoor classroom!! These kids, although mentally "checked out" for break ,were so engaged!! They loved being outside, collecting the soil sample themselves, and working like real scientists. There is nothing like hands- on, minds- on teaching.


2 Soil Samples

Helping collect a sample

 Students work in order to find the soil sample and then watch it divide and separate into, Sand, Silt, and Clay. They will observe their soil sample the next day to see what happens over a period of time.

Students observing the soil and it's placement


Mathtastic game creation!!

I have been battling the fact 8 years olds do not like to be drilled on multiplication facts, and after a 6 month battle. I have finally found a solution to the confusion! I call my solution "Multiplication Slap Jack." The object of the game is to be the one to slap the multiplication equations and solve them first.

When I first thought about it, I was like "Oh No!" Someone is going to lose an eye?! However despite my apprehensiveness, I explained to the students the importance of not slapping other people and they worked so hard to follow this rule in order to continue playing. Games are the way of the future! Make something a game and they will enjoy it a whole lot more! (They don't teach you this in college... haha!)

I love how teachers are able to take a concept and completely change the perspective on it once we change the way that it looks! It is one mind game that we play everyday! I love being in control in that sense. It is a power that I enjoy. Kids have no idea how sneaky we can be as well.

"It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge." - Albert Einstein  
 As the day closes and the sun sets on another great day, I am constantly reminded that as the goin gets tough and the crazy get crazier, there is always some way to make the best out of every situation! I am so thrilled to work in the Texas Public School system and serve the children that I do. They bring out the best in me and I strive to do the same for them each day!
Have a happy and blessed Friday!

- Kelli Love

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful science experiment! I wish my school had a better outdoor playground that my kids could do things like this at. Thanks for sharing! I just recently started blogging too and am your newest follower!
    I'd love to have you stop by sometime!

    Melissa
    Jungle Learners

    ReplyDelete